Favorite game soundtracks?

You do realize that the Linux kernel was developed using a close source proprietary version control system for a good while because it was the right tool for the job.

Just sayin’

…maybe even running a proprietary operating system; heresy! :stuck_out_tongue:

You do realize you formulated your statement in the past tense? Times have changed: Where once spyware was rare, it has become the corporate norm. I choose not to shrug it off.

Well you’re welcome to be involved with the community on the forum. The forum software is open source running on a Linux server and written in an open source language.

Hopefully that checks all the checkbooks to make even RMS happy. :slight_smile:

Not at all; some unrepentant sinner has been spewing YouTube videos that likely record my visits. :wink:

I’d have posted them as youtube-nocookie (or invidio.us) links, but Discourse doesn’t support those.

https://www.youtube-nocookie.com/embed/p1QIcR0xkxE

https://invidio.us/watch?v=p1QIcR0xkxE

@Modanung I opened up a new thread since this is getting way off topic: Mind if we move over to: FOSS Pursim give and take

1 Like

May as well revive this topic with some of my favorite gaming music. Even though I’ve never played a Silent Hill game all the way through, I still really like the music from the first 4 games or so. Akira Yamaoka makes some great atmospheric music. Some of which would be perfect for a Halloween music playlist. But some are great if you need some chill music to listen to.

My favorite gaming soundtrack would probably go to Red Dead Redemption though. That whole album was awesome.

Oh and I can’t forget about the soundtrack for Far Cry Blood Dragon by Power Glove.

And an honorable mention to the Alan Wake soundtrack:

1 Like

I do listen to videogame soundtracks as actual music, and my collection involves: Halo, Driver Parallel Lines, GTAs from VC to IV and Need 4 Speed (Most Wanted being my favorite for soundtracks).
EDIT: oh and how could I forget, Ace Combat 5 - The Unsung War, Ace Combat Zero - The Belkan War

I’ll leave you with a playlist from Driver Parallel Lines, may be the less known:

The game has 2 timelines so the soundtracks are old era and then new era.

Pretty good! I only have heard the top one though.

Here is also a good one :blush:

Easy one, that’s also in GTA IV > The Lost and Damned > Liberty Rock Radio 97.8 :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: Full of classics:

Never played it, but the soundtrack sounds like it was made with purpose, perhaps not to go mad? EDIT: Okay I’m going through it all right now, I can “hear” why you like it. Hot Damned (Ch 4 Light World) 0:27:57 is really hot. :smiley: It Ends 2: End Harder (Ch 6 Levels) 0:45:32 is good too.

One entry that I somehow forgot in my list, Ace Combat! Very fond of Ace Combat 5 - The Unsung War and Ace Combat Zero - The Belkan War, those are the ones I played and the soundtracks stick to me, sometimes play them in the car full blast. :airplane:

The gameplay of Super Meat Boy was pretty awesome too, and it went down really well with the music.

Controls are super slick, difficulty gradient is perfect and when you do manage to make it through a level you see all reploverlays of each attempt simultaneously. Which can be sadistically rewarding for all the sawblades your poor red slab ran or fell into.

I must admit to you I’m going through the third run of the soundtrack, listening it while coding fits well too!! :muscle:

So you code, huh? Try this stuff:

Mine would have to be from Silent hill, resident evil and fatal frame had a good soundtrack also :wink:

1 Like

I might sound like an old fart but I’m very favorable to the soundtracks from early FIFA and Need For Speed games. Maybe because these are the games I played as a kid.

FIFA 2000 had a great track by Robbie Williams:

NFS Most Wanted (2005) had some solid rock + numetal numbers:

here’s a good list of free music tools on linux in case anyone wants to make their own music btw