So I was listening to a YT video about recommendation of OSS apps / free apps that run on linux and some of these I haven’t heard of or completely forgot about. I figured I’d post this and see if anyone else has some precious gems they’d care to share.
- lutris.net – I’m not into gaming as much as others but this looks interesting. An OSS platform for Linux Gaming.
- mpv.io | Installation Media Player alternative to VLC.
- This is an area I really didn’t care about till more recently, so having some nice free tools is great: Features - Pencil Project
- Not OSS but free: Online Vector Graphic Design App & Icon Image Editor - Gravit Designer
- Honorable mention to Gimp, Blender, Inkscape, Scribus they’re all basically the well known standard apps.
- https://natrongithub.github.io/ this one is new to me, composition and VFX
- https://www.digikam.org/ Photo management
- https://www.darktable.org/ same as above seems to have some advanced features geared at photographers.
- DaVinci Resolve 17 | Blackmagic Design for video editing
- https://joplinapp.org/ similar to Evernote but free/OSS. Synchro is done via your favorite cloud provider.
Octave- I always forget about this but it’s absolutely stunning product. GNU Octave
I’ll throw LaTeX into the mix as wells since I can’t say math formula without someone mentioning LaTeX.
What’s your favorite less known or well known app that didn’t make the list?