Password Manager Linux - Opinion

I’ve been using it for about a day or two @veremit. It’s a bit less intuitive then lastpass. LastPass has the tendency to ‘just work’ I don’t need to tell it that i updated my password it just knows and all i need to do is confirm.

bitwarden seems to be a bit more manual to get passwords in and autocomplete is less convenient, but the idea of self hosting is intriguing. (Though I haven’t used that feature yet)

Bitwarden is quite good. The apps all work quite well and the developer is pretty responsive to questions. It’s also up for an audit soon which will put it on a list of only a small number of password managers to have done so.

KeepassX seems to work very well.

My issue with keepass is the availability of the data on multiple devices and merging DBs used to be a pain at least. Definitely the best option though for the paranoid penguin.

2 Likes

None of those! Bitwarden is where it’s at… I freaking love it… I’m a former Keepass user of several years and as soon as I seen Bitwarden I dropped it like a hot potato.

2 Likes

Oh wow!
I had no idea that Bitwarden exists!
It’s like a free and selfhostedd variant of LastPass.
It’s amazing!

I’m in the process of switching to it now, as soon as I get it running on my server.

The mobile app works great and the plugins for browsers also seem to work well.

3 Likes

Yup, exactly! I’d like to thank the Brave browser for introducing me to it. I stumbled upon it because it was one of the only 5 plugins they used to have. (That changed now that they switched to a chromium core)

I have fully switched from LastPass to Bitwarden.
Their self-hosting package was a bit too bloated for my purposes, so I went with the alternative bitwarden_rs package that is written in Rust.
It takes almost no ressources and yet offers all the services I need.
It’s also fully compatible with the official Bitwarden apps, so you don’t even notice the difference.
And I can sleep well, knowing that someone has to hack my server explicitly to get my passwords.

@BrainWash Can you add Bitwarden to the vote table? If not don’t worry, I just think it sucks that the best one isn’t even on the list :stuck_out_tongue:

It won’t allow a change to the poll after the first 5 minutes.

For years, I used a formula: Easy to remember frame, specifying the password to the site, and encryption. This resulted in passwords that I could easily reproduce, but looked like I was hitting the keyboard at random. Then webmasters decided that they knew how to make a secure password better than I did, and created all sorts of rules for passwords that my formula violated.

Now, I’m looking for a password manager.

1 Like

I’m still using bitwarden.
Still perfectly happy with it.
The installation is really quick and once it’s setup, it’s a docker container and one folder to add to my backup-system (optional, but why would you not back that up??)

So I’m still massively in favor of Bitwarden, as it has the advantages of a hosted solution like LastPass (syncing of passwords across devices for example) without the disadvantages of having someone else host your passwords for you (like them knowing your passwords or tracking your usage).

And it’s open source, so I can actually trust it to not phone home.
I’ve looked over the rust backend myself and find it beautifully written!

1 Like

I agree with @AnyTimeTraveler.

At this point my personal recommendation:

Commercial: I like 1password (for ease of use /security record), pricing, etc.
OSS: BitWarden Hands down, keepass if you have to, but really find it that lack of automatic sync makes it pointless. I’ve spent far too much time merging keepass DBs that I wouldn’t want to touch that again.