Classic Game Night - May The 4th Be With You - Galactic Conquest (Battlefield 1942) - Dark Rendezvous

May The 4th Be With You - Battlefield 1942 (Galactic Conquest) Classic Game Night

From Event Host:

We advise you buy all your games but with this very old title the event host notes that BF1942 Abandonware is patched for compatibility, widescreen support and includes EA stepping patches. It is recommended by them as the solution to the first requirement of this event.

We made a new Zip file on Google Drive with everything in one folder for easier access. You can find that here: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1nT5f5eD8kNgz2ibMeUhMPscUZPnrQ2vR

Galactic Conquest 8.2 Stand Alone ISO (Provided by Posi) Just extract the ISO and launch the setup file once done: http://www.mediafire.com/file/vn5fh545vg4n0jr/Galactic_Conquest_8.2_Stand_Alone.iso/file

Here are the steps to get everything installed and ready to go for the 4th (downloads compiled from Galactic Conquest FB post below):

• Step 1 - After downloading and unzipping, go in and access the folder titled “Battlefield 1942”. Once in, click on “bf1942-setup” and follow the setup process. Don’t start the game just yet.

• Step 2 - After this is done, go back in and find the folder titled “Server Browser Patch”, go in and click the “battlefield_1942_gamespy_patch_v1.61” and allow the setup process to go through.

• Step 3 - After you have completed the patch setup, you can now install the Galactic Conquest mod. There are two versions of this mod, version 8.1 and 8.2. Either one will do, but for older computers you may want to go with 8.1

• Step 4 - After you have the game, patch and mod installed, you can then boot up the game. Once you get the game started, set your profile if you want and then click “Multiplay” and then “Internet”. this should bring you to the server browser. Click on “Update” and you should see a list of available servers pop up. Search 1942mods in the filter field and it should locate their server.

You should be good to go. :+1: As well, please find more details on these downloads and mods below from the Galactic Conquest FB page. :point_down: :point_down:

- Requirements for Galactic Conquest -

Battlefield 1942

Two Abandonware links are provided which have been vetted. The G-drive is likely a faster download. Origin or CD versions are also fine.

A fresh install of Battlefield 1942 will freeze in ANY version if you attempt to use the server browser. This is due to EA discontinuing support and pushing the game into Abandonware status.

This small patch will eliminate that freeze and restore your server browser by reconnecting the game to an independent Master Server.

( Optionally this can be done manually by editing your hosts file and adding —> 94.23.196.155master.gamespy.com <— hosts file is located at c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts )

Your base game is now ready to launch and take online. You can test this now or continue with Mod installation.

Galactic Conquest 8.2 Installer

Linux or older systems may prefer to install version 8.1 which has less lighting effects.

Galactic Conquest 8.1 Installer

You can follow us on Facebook or join the Facebook group.

Our Event Host and U.S. Based Server

2 Likes

We are still looking for someone to stream this event on the GeekBeacon side. We mainly want to stream on Twitch, but can do YouTube to record.

If anyone is available to stream, please let us know what time you would be able to.

Edited the original post with an easier to follow guide on how to install the game and a zipped folder with all the needed downloads. Original details are still there for context.

I think @Gameslayer has stepped up for the streaming section… Woot! I sincerely hope to get my computer up and running by tomorrow :sob:

The only problem with Galatic Conquest and some other mods for 1942 like Interstate 82 is the fact that they have a bunch of copyrighted music which is kind of lame, that’s why I’ve been avoiding the mods a bit when streaming I guess. PS. A little late response I know

1 Like

We will probably just stick to the galactic conquest side of it, as we don’t want to be streaming any copyrighted music either.

Thanks for bringing that to our attention though.

Good call – also, I think we’re going to try BF2 or some other 1942 mods since @Posi has a good gang around this sorta stuff too!

Most players turn background off so as not to interfere with hearing the enemy. Options / Controls / Sound / Uncheck Music Box

Any streamer could also turn off background music in advance.

In many years I have never heard this issue raised. For Galactic Conquest we will actually look into this as .bik files are not that hard to change and a future release is planned.

Whoopz is a widely admired advocate of the game!